free, mp3, chat, music, shopping, online marketing, download, shop, books, online, art, arts, audio, poetry, poems
The Poets Co-op Open Poetry Readings were a community-based poetry reading series in Loveland, Colorado for most of a decade. Featured readers ranged from national acclaimed poets to regional award winning poets. Many of our featured readers were simply extremely talented local poets just starting their careers. Participants at the open reading portion of the events ranged from first time readers to published and polished professionals. Readers spanned in age from 4 to 94. We embraced all styles of poetry and all shared a common passion for original poetry. The reading was always hosted by M. D. Friedman with the first reading on March 21st of 2002 at the old Java Lounge on Fourth Street in downtown Loveland. In the Fall of 2004, the series moved to the Loveland Museum where the last reading was held on November 4, 2010. Most of the readings were recorded live and these recordings make up an archive of over 1000 audio files that are now available for your listening and/or downloading pleasure without cost. If you enjoy a particular poet's work please click on his or her name if it is blue to email them and say thank you. (You can also still read about past featured poets from the 2005 Fall Series, 2006 Spring Series, 2006 Fall Series, 2007 Spring Series, 2007 Fall Series, 2008 Spring Series, 2008 Fall Series, 2009 Spring Series , 2009 Fall Series, 2010 Spring Series or 2010 Fall Series.)
Click to listen to over 1000 ARCHIVED RECORDINGS from our past open readings.
“The open mike reveals so much about people’s inner feelings,” said Tom Katsimpalis, curator of interpretation at the Loveland Museum/Gallery. “That’s what poetry is about. Things can be expressed in poetry in ways that they can’t be expressed in other mediums.” --
Shelley Widhalm, Loveland ReporterHerald,
Please enjoy a special tribute the poets wrote and read for Tom Katsimpalis, former curator of the Loveland Museum and long time friend of the Poets' Co-op.
Be sure to check out our Special Tribute in honor of Gene Hoffman.
(Don't forget to also visit the special studio recorded selections at www.mp3poetry.com featuring many internet poets from around the world. These include several experimental spoken word MP3's as well as several more with musical backing recorded at Mad Dog Music Studio. )
We also host TV show featuring poetry readings on the first Sunday of each month from 7:00 - 7:30 pm in partnership with Boulder County Comcast Cable Channel 54. The Poet's Co-op TV Show features both Colorado and National Poets with an emphasis on performance poetry. You can download or watch I-Pod ready video excerpts from these shows or the full half hour program for free at www.videopoetry.org. Please contact our host and event coordinator, M. D. Friedman, if you are interested in becoming a featured poet one of TV Shows.
The following performances of our past featured readers are available for free download below. They are also available as part of our archive of over 1000 recordings or as part of our Poets' Co-op TV Show Podcast. Click to subscribe to this podcast and/or put into I-Tunes.
- November 4, 2010 - Guest Reading of a Set of Her Own Poems by featured reader, Lynn Wagner
- October 7, 2010 - Guest Reading of a Set of His Own Poems by featured reader, M. D. Friedman
- September 2, 2010 - Guest Reading of a Set of Her Own Poems by featured reader, Rachel
- May 6, 2010 - Guest Reading of a Set of Her Own Poems by featured reader, Sandy Tseng
- March 4, 2010 - Guest Reading of a Set of Her Own Poems by featured reader, Rosemerry Wahtola Trommer
- October 1, 2009 - Guest Reading of a Set of His Own Poems by featured reader, George Drew
- September 3, 2009 - Guest Reading of a Set of His Own Poems by featured reader, John Amen
- May 7, 2009 - Guest Reading of a Set of Their Own Poems by 3 Guys from
- April 2, 2009 - Guest Reading of a Set of His Own Poems by Peter Neil Carroll
- March 5, 2009 - Guest Reading of a Set of His Own Poems by featured reader, Matthew Cooperman
- November 6, 2008 - Guest Reading of a Set of Her Own Poems by Amy Irish
with Collin Irish on percussion and second voice
- September 4, 2008 - Guest Reading of a Set of His Own Poems by SETH
- March 6, 2008 - Guest Reading of a Set of Vortex Drive by
featured reader Katherine
West & Jeff Finer
- October 4, 2007 - Guest
Reading of a Set of Her Own Poems by featured reader Megan Freeman
- October 4, 2007 - Guest Reading of a Set of His Own Poems by Oswald LeWinter
- September 6, 2007 - Guest Reading of a Set of Free Radical Railroad Poetry by
featured readers Mike Adams, Phil Woods & Jim Shekells
Our final Open Reading held at the Loveland
Museum was Thursday, November 4, 2010. The challenge phrase for this reading was "Poems for Tom." (Please enjoy this special tribute the poets wrote and read for Tom Katsimpalis, former curator of the Loveland Museum and long time friend of the Poets' Co-op).
- The Character of a Man Like Tom by Herb Conley
- Tom by Tony Burfield
- Just Three Letters... by Tommy Massey
- Echoes Of Tom (for the "For Tom" Challenge) by M. D. Friedman
- The Burning Time (for Tom) by Katherine West
- Poems for Tom by Lynn Kincanon
- Tom Katsimpalis by Diana L. Royce with M. D. Friedman as a substitute reader
- Haiku for Tom by Mariamne Engle Friedman
- Cento for Tom by Lynn Wagner
- Tom Tom... by Caroline Orman
A special tribute to honor Gene Hoffman, artist, born on Sept. 11, 1933, & who died Feb. 24, 2005, an inspiration to all who knew him. (All photographs of Gene's art taken by M. D. Friedman with permission from Gene Hoffman.)
- Found at Exhibit of Found Art by M. D. Friedman (See photos of Gene Hoffman's St. George in Aluminum, Rusted Metal & Car Reflectors, Gene Hoffman's
Winged Tiki & Gene Hoffman's Kachina ).
- Two Poems for Gene Hoffman by Gordon Holladay
- Icarus Triptych in Rusted Metal & Aluminum by M. D. Friedman (See a photo of Gene Hoffman's Icarus Triptych in Rusted Metal & Aluminum).
- Two Poems inspired by the art of Gene Hoffman by Mariamne Engle Friedman recorded live on Dona Stein's Poetry Show . (See photos of Gene Hoffman's On Thoreau & Gene Hoffman's The Trophy ).
Our first CD featuring live readings from the Java Lounge is available at our Online Store. (This CD is a compellation of live readings recorded at the old Java Lounge Open Readings and experimental studio recordings recorded at the Mad Dog Music Studio. This is our first CD release and represents a wide range of poetic styles typical of a night at one of our Open Readings. Proceeds from the purchase of the CD will be used to produce new CD's.)